Gym workout tips for beginners
The first time at the gym should not be intimidating at all. That's why we have compiled tips to help you feel confident and get the most out of your gym visit.
Everyone has different reasons for going to the gym - for some, it may be to improve overall health and quality of life, for others it may be to lose weight, and for others it may be to increase muscle mass. Regardless of the goals, starting training at the gym without previous experience can seem confusing on how to effectively use all the equipment available.
We also want to emphasize that typically a gym membership includes an introductory session with a personal trainer who will explain the available workout equipment and give advice on how to perform exercises correctly.
How long should I do the workout for if I am just a beginner?
Both the mind and body need time to adapt to something new, so start by setting a goal - for example, continuing your planned workout program for three months. It is important to make the workouts an integral part of your daily routine - this will help you stick to your initial goal.
Initially, one workout should last 45-60 minutes and there should be a 48-hour break between workouts to allow the body to properly recover. Most people prefer the workout schedule of "Monday-Wednesday-Friday
How much weight should I lift as a beginner?
It is recommended to start with a lighter weight and gradually increase it until you reach about 60-70% of the maximum weight you can lift in one exercise repetition. In this way, you will understand what weight resistance to start with and gradually increase it every week.
What are reps and sets?
Reps: performing the exercise once, but sets: a series of repetitions of the exercise.
For example, if you perform a push-up 10 times, it will be one set with 10 repetitions. If you take a break and then perform the exercise again, you will have completed two sets with 10 repetitions.
The number of repetitions and sets depends on the goals set. More repetitions with lower resistance will improve endurance, but fewer repetitions with higher resistance will help achieve greater muscle mass.
Tips that will be helpful in every workout:
Start slowly and at first pay special attention to the technique of the exercise!
Take a rest of 60-90 seconds between sets. It is important to move a little during the break, for example, a slow walk around the gym will keep the right heart rate and won't let the muscles cool down.
It's best to follow the workout in the listed order, but if the equipment is being used, feel free to switch the exercises for your convenience.
Beginner gym workout for ladies
This workout is designed for women to tone the entire body, with a focus on leg and glute muscles. There is a myth that lifting weights makes women's bodies bulky. In reality, weightlifting helps women become stronger, toned, and leaner.
- Seated leg press (10 reps x 3 sets)
- Seated shoulder press (10 reps x 3 sets)
- Close grip lat pulldown (10 reps x 3 sets)
- Bodyweight lunges (10 reps x 3 sets)
- Full/kneeling press ups (10 reps x 3 sets)
- Plank (30 secs x 3)
- Leg raises (10 reps x 3 sets)
Beginner gym workout for men
This workout is designed for men to improve strength and increase muscle mass. The focus is mainly on training the arm and abdominal muscles.
- Seated chest press (10 reps x 4 sets)
- Seated rows (10 reps x 4 sets)
- Wide grip lat pulldown (10 reps x 4 sets)
- Seated leg press (10 reps x 4 sets)
- Dumbbell seated shoulder press (10 reps x 4 sets)
- Dumbbell bicep curls (10 reps x 4 sets)
- Close grip tricep press ups (10 reps x 4 sets)
- Cable rotations/twists (10 reps x 4 sets)
- Reverse crunches (10 reps x 4 sets)
Beginner gym workout for strength
In strength training, it is recommended to perform 4-6 reps. The idea of this workout is to invest more energy with fewer reps, which means that you will have to overcome greater external resistance or lift a heavier weight. If you're performing strength exercises for the first time, it's recommended to choose a lighter weight in the first weeks, but gradually increase the load. When you can do 8-10 reps with the same weight, it's clear that it's time to increase the weight.
- Barbell push press (6 reps x 4 sets)
- Goblet squat (6 reps x 4 sets)
- Dumbbell single arm row (6 reps x 4 sets)
- Shoulder lateral raise (6 reps x 4 sets)
- Bench press (6 reps x 4 sets)
- Pull ups/assisted pull ups (6 reps x 4 sets)
- Barbell bicep curls (8 reps x 4 sets)
- Cable overhead tricep extensions (8 reps x 4 sets)
- Rotating plank (30 secs x 4)
Beginner gym workout for weight loss
This workout is designed to increase heart rate and make the body sweat. The goal of the workout is to challenge the heart and cardiovascular system, the faster the heart rate, the more calories are burned.
- Plate thrusters (15 reps x 3 sets)
- Mountain climbers (20 reps x 3 sets)
- Box jumps (10 reps x 3 sets)
- Walk outs (10 reps x 3 sets)
- Renegade rows (full plank/kneeling) (10 each side x 3 sets)
- Press ups (full plank/kneeling) (15 reps x 3 sets)
- Treadmill 10 min run/steep incline brisk walk (no hands)
- Supermans (full plank/kneeling) (10 reps x 3 sets)
- Crunches (10 reps x 3 sets)
Beginner gym workout for cardio equipment
This is a combination of endurance and interval training. Incorporating intervals in workouts can improve the function of the cardiovascular and circulatory system. These exercises help prepare the respiratory system for high-intensity interval training (HIIT).
- 5 min treadmill brisk walk (optional incline)
- 5 min rower (steady)
- 1 min run/1 min walk treadmill x 10(easy)/15(medium)/20(hard)
- 10 min stair master (steady)
- Cross trainer (maintain one pace) – 1 min low effort level/1 min high effort level x 10(easy) / 15(medium) / 20(hard)
Beginner gym circuit workout
Circuit training is a great way to burn more calories and train multiple body areas at the same time. This type of training is perfect for those who have limited time for exercise. The advantage of circuit training is that it can be varied in countless ways. The workouts can include exercises with free weights, which improve cardiovascular function, save time, improve muscle strength and endurance, and this type of training is not boring!
- 2 min rower
- Alternating side plank (45 secs)
- Bicep curl to shoulder press (45 secs)
- Benched tricep dips (45 secs)
- Squat jumps (45 secs)
- Press up into superman (full / knees) (45 secs)
Training principles that will help you achieve your goals
There are many types of workouts and each of them can provide a benefit depending on the goals. Regardless of the type of workout you choose, there are a few basic things that are recommended to follow in order to get the most benefit from the workout.
- Pay attention to your eating habits! If the goal of your workout is to lose weight, then remember that the basic principle is to move more than you consume. This is a very simple formula that many tend to complicate when it comes to weight loss. If you are training to increase muscle mass, nutrition is very important and you should choose foods high in protein. Also, what you eat before and after your workout can help improve athletic performance and recovery after the workout! Don't forget to stay hydrated as well!
- Consider your daily work! Nowadays, many people spend most of their day sitting. Therefore, when it comes to physical activity, standing definitely has more benefits than sitting. Exercises in a standing position will help activate those parts of the body that are not adequately stimulated by sitting work.
- Proper warm-up. When it comes to warming up your body before a workout, it's best to do movement-based or dynamic stretching exercises. This means choosing stretching exercises that are not static and do not decrease your heart rate. For example, lunges, simple yoga elements, walking, as well as cardio training on an elliptical or powermill are great warm-up elements.
- Don't forget about the cool-down! In this part of the workout, it is recommended to choose more static and slow stretching exercises. This will help relax and release the most tense areas of the body. Feel free to use also foam rolling or Theragun by Therabody percussive therapy devices after your workout to help reduce muscle soreness and improve flexibility.
Starting a new workout routine at the gym can be a nerve-wracking process. But, by diligently following through and sticking to your chosen workout routine from the very first day, while also receiving advice and support from trainers and fitness enthusiasts, you will soon understand the vastness of the workout world. We wish you to achieve your workout goals, get stonger and live a more healthier and happier life!